Saturday, February 27, 2016

How to make a bin cage

I already went over how to make a nursery cage before once here. But I made a new one and wanted to make a nice guide.


Bin Cage


Bin cages are basically a cage created out of a plastic storage bin.

I do not think bins should be used as permanent cages for rats. Being plastic there is always the chance of being chewed through and rats really enjoy more room and vertical climbing. They do make really nice cages for hamsters and mice though.

I use bin cages as travel cages, quarantine cages, temp medical cages but mostly I use them as nursery cages.

Bins make really great nursery cages for momma rats because they are really super easy to clean, very safe and secure for tiny pinkies that may fall/slip through normal cage bars. Being all one floor they protect babies from falls.


It is important to get the right type of storage bin. I made this mistake last time. Ideally it should be perfectly smooth inside, no edges or rims. My last one had an edge on the inside up by the handle....and my girl used it to her advantage and chewed a whole & escaped....

(Click pics to enlarge them)

Cost & Supplies:
About $20-$30. Which is a pretty good price. You will end up with a ton of hardware mesh left over. So you could probably make several bins with it to have backups.

The plastic storage bin cost me under $10 at walmart.
The hardware mesh was about $12 at tractor supply but you can find it at like any hardware store probably.
Zip ties are like under $2 (you can also use bolts & washers. I don't know much about tools so I just stuck with zipties. They may get chewed so keep an eye on them and replace as needed. Use extra to secure incase one does get chewed.

You will also need a drill, wire cutters and something to cut the bin with.

For my last bin I used a utility knife, but this time the plastic was too thick and I could not do it. We actually used the wire cutters to cut it out which was alot of work. Ideally you should use a dremel cutter.






 The bin I am using is 51qt Sterilite brand.



Step One:

You want to draw a window shape on the bin. You want it to take up most of the side for good air flow. But you also want it a few inches from the bottom so pinkies have some room away from it and also so bedding doesn't get easily tossed out. I could have probably made it alittle higher honestly.





Step Two: 

Cut out the window. Be careful do not cut off a finger!






Step Three:

Cut out a piece of the hardware cloth larger then the window, and inch or two larger on each side.

It is a pain in the butt to cut the hardware cloth. My hands kill me afterwards lol. Just use the wire cutters. Once you are done you want to either trim or fold the edges over so it is not pokey.

Step Four:

Drill holes into the bin for the zipties. I like to hold the hardware cloth on top of the window and mark little dots for where I want the holes to go. I try not to put too many but enough so that it is tightly secure. Definitely all the corners.

Step Five:

Attach the hardware cloth to the bin using zipties.

IMPORTANT!!! 
YOU MUST ATTACH THE MESH ON THE INSIDE OF THE BIN!

If you attach it to the outside the rats will chew on the exposed cut edge of the bin and escape.






You can also do the lid (not pictured). Doing the lid as well helps ammonia escape through the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...