Friday, April 15, 2016

Variety: Silvermane

Another post on some of my varieties, to recap:

All our pet rats are domesticated Brown rats (Rattus norvegicus). Also called Fancy Rats. (yes even dumbos are fancy rats). The term "fancy" comes from the meaning of a pet hobby. Like saying you fancy something.

So all of our rats are the same breed we just have different varieties. These varieties include different markings, colors, ear type, coat type, and size.

On top of that there are also different names for some varieties depending on your country and club that you follow.

I prefer to follow AFRMA (American Fancy Rat & Mouse Association) Standards.

Silvermane is not currently standardized by AFRMA.

Silvermane is a quite new variety. It was discovered in 2012 by a Rattery in North Carolina named Squeaks and Nibbles Rattery. From there is was shared with a handful of select breeders as they worked to create a standard for it.

Silvermane's have a very unique look. Their coat should consist of one color with lighter hairs giving them a silvered look. Their base color can come in a variety of colors but looks best on darker shades.
The standard that most are going for is to have 50-75% of the hairs be "silvered". The nose/muzzle should be a bit dark giving them this really lovely look.

Silvermane babies coats start out as their color standard. Then around 12 weeks of age they begin to "silver". It seems some gradually lighten and others are much quicker.

It is currently believed that silvermane is a coat type and not a color. Some breeders were able to look at the hairs under a microscope and find that the hairs are not actually silvered but instead empty or clear!

Silvermane also seem to have a softer coat. Honestly it does feel so soft, I could just pet my guy forever lol

My Lines:

I have just very recently added Silvermane to my rattery. I am very excited to work with this variety and think it will be one of my very favorites. Ever since seeing the silvermane it has been one of my dream rats and I am just so in awe.

The start of my line is a male Dumbo Silvermane from Great Star Rattery. His name is Alucard.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...