Monday, July 6, 2015

How I name my babies

Just for those curious....

I think it is very important and helpful to give every litter & new baby a code name to go by. It helps me to keep track of the parents, the litter, and each specific baby.

Every breeder has their own way of doing it. I got this one off a rat breeder group, someone shared it and said anyone could use it :) I modified it slightly.

You will probably see it often in my posts & labeling pictures.

For example:

BKB4-1M

  • The first letter (B) stands for the first initial of the fathers name
  • The second letter (K) stands for the Mothers name
  • The next letter (B) is code for what # litter it is for the mom- a for first, b for second, etc...
  • The first number stands for how many are born into that litter
  • The second number is given to each baby. So baby #1, baby #2, etc..
  • Then they get a M or F for female or male

So for the example above:
B(father:Blue)K(mom:Khaleesi)B(moms second litter)4(four babies born)-1(baby #1)M(a male)

I only give actual names to the babies I am keeping.

So when you see this gibberish posted for litters that is why :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...