Thursday, April 14, 2016

Variety: Dumbo

Another post on some of my varieties, to recap:

All our pet rats are domesticated Brown rats (Rattus norvegicus). Also called Fancy Rats. (yes even dumbos are fancy rats). The term "fancy" comes from the meaning of a pet hobby. Like saying you fancy something.

So all of our rats are the same breed we just have different varieties. These varieties include different markings, colors, ear type, coat type, and size.

On top of that there are also different names for some varieties depending on your country and club that you follow.

I prefer to follow AFRMA (American Fancy Rat & Mouse Association) Standards.

Dumbo

AFRMA's Standard-
Dumbo rats to be shown in any recognized color, marking, or variety. The distinguishing feature being their low ear set. The ears are large and round, set low on the sides of the head. Head to form an equilateral triangle when viewed from above.

Dumbo is an ear type from a recessive gene. Gene: dudu

One of my first rats was a dumbo and I fell madly in love with the look right away!

There is some common myths that surround Dumbos.

Dumbos are not any sweeter, larger, etc... They are also not a different breed of rat.

Dumbos are still fancy rats, that same as standards. It is just a different ear type and nothing more.

Sadly alot of pet shops label dumbos as something different, likely to just make them seem more special and charge more. So you will often see stores selling fancy rats and dumbos.

In truth the ear types are labeled as dumbo and standard or top-eared.

My Lines:

I do have both top-eared and dumbos. I prefer dumbo myself so I favor them.

Some breeders do not like working with dumbos because it is difficult to get really good show quality ears sometimes.

I'm happy with my ears, shape & size and they have very limited folding.There is always room to improve!

My Siamese lines favor dumbo.



Dumbo VS Top-Eared

Dumbo



Top-Eared


See my post on checking ear type on pinkies HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...