Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Variety: Dwarfs!

So I thought I would go into some detail about my different lines.

All our pet rats are domesticated Brown rats (Rattus norvegicus). Also called Fancy Rats. (yes even dumbos are fancy rats). The term "fancy" comes from the meaning of a pet hobby. Like saying you fancy something.

So all of our rats are the same breed we just have different varieties. These varieties include different markings, colors, ear type, coat type, and size.

On top of that there are also different names for some varieties depending on your country and club that you follow.

I prefer to follow AFRMA (American Fancy Rat & Mouse Association) Standards.

Dwarfs

Dwarfs are currently not standardized by AFRMA. They are still a semi newer variety. You are not going to stumble upon a dwarf rat, you will need to get them from a breeder.

Dwarf rats are about 1/3 the size of standard rats. It is really quite a large difference.
Standard females weigh around 250-450g, standard males weight around 450-650g.
Both male and female dwarfs are around 115g fully grown. (some lines are a bit larger at around 120-125g)

Look wise, dwarfs seem to have larger eyes. Their tails are noticeable different being shorter and thinner. Dwarfs also have smaller feet.

It is a common misconception that dwarfs are just small rats or that they are created by breeding one small rat to another & continuing to choose the smallest rats to breed. This is very much NOT true. This also leads to people asking if they have a dwarf because their rat is small... again no. You would know if your rat is a dwarf because you got her from a breeder who bred dwarfs. I have also sadly seen people scammed and being sold what they were told were dwarfs when they most certainly are not. Be careful and don't get scammed, often these smaller rats are runts or sickly and are not good healthy rats.

In reality dwarfs are caused by the dwarf gene.
It is a recessive gene (meaning you need it coming from both parents to create dwarfs). So if you have dwarf mom + dwarf dad, you get all dwarf babies. If you have one dwarf parent and one standard parent, you will get all standard babies that carry dwarf. etc...

Dwarfs can come in any color/marking/coat/ear type variety. 


Are dwarfs any different temperament or health wise than standards?

No. It all depends on their lines, same as standards. If you have healthy, sweet/friendly lines then it does not matter if it is a dwarf or a standard.

Dwarfs do not have any unique temperament or health issues that are related or caused by them being a dwarf. They have the same average lifespan as standard sized rats.

That being said.... dwarfs being a newer-ish variety means that some lines still need some work and some breeders out there may have gotten swept up with the flavor of the month and may rushed to breed them rather than sort out and worked to improve the lines. If looking for a dwarf always look for a breeder who has experience and don't be afraid to ask about their lines temperament.

All of my dwarfs come from really great lines that have incredible temperaments!

But... on the positive side of things dwarfs seem to have a much lower risk of tumors. The gene causes a decrease of growth hormones also seems to effect tumors. - http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/content/23/6/977.full.pdf

Differences in personality?

Dwarfs, both males and females seem to be much more active and energetic than standards.

One of my male dwarfs literally bounces off the sides of his cage. While my standard males the same age as him (2 weeks older) have slowed down and started on their lazy male ways, the dwarf is still insanely active. And all of my males are generally on the more active side.

I really must stress how bouncy and active they are. It is adorable and silly. But it does come with some requirements. Which brings us to.....

Handling and Housing needs:

Dwarfs really are quite tiny compared to standard rats, and as such more care is needed for them.

For housing I suggest a good sized cage with lots of climbing space. Wheels are a great idea for both genders. I'd suggest lots of toys, ledges, ropes, etc... You want a fun active space for them.

Bar spacing is recommended no larger than 1/2 inch.

With their smaller size they can be more delicate. I'd be more careful with small children handling them or with other pets.

I'd also like to share a very heart breaking story. I had a young dwarf girl named Rey. I let her have free range time with my standard females. I have a rat proof and what I thought was safe rat room. One day Rey was following the bigger girls climbing up a shelf, she slipped and fell. Rey passed away from the fall. It was very hard for me to lose her.

I have since completely re designed my rat room to make sure nothing like that would happen again. But I hope my story can cause caution and protect other babies from tragedy.

Being smaller makes rat proofing much more difficult.

Can dwarfs live in the same cages as standards?

There is definitely not a single answer for all rats. Every rat is different and has their own unique personalities.

IMO I would give caution and suggest NOT housing dwarfs with standards in most cases. The size difference is quite large, even more so between males. Imagine a 600g male vs a 115g dwarf! Even if everyone got along beautifully an accident could easily result in injury or death.

I would say it is likely safer for females. But in the end it all is about how your rats are, their personalities, etc... If you are even slightly unsure, I suggest not risking it. If there has ever been signs of aggression in your rats, don't risk it. etc....

All that being said, I have had dwarf females with my standard females. My females are all excellent temperament wise. I do not even need to do proper intros of new rats with them, they are very excepting and sweet. All of them also help raise my litters, when babies are 3+ weeks old (which is about the size of a dwarf).

I have also let two of my standard males live with a dwarf male. The standards were exactly 2 weeks older than the dwarf, and babies still themselves. I had also bred them myself and knew their personalities and temperament quite well. It was very sweet because the two standard boys would play wrestle quite crazy like but they would never rough house with the dwarf boy. Even when he bounced around on top of them, they were nothing but gentle. I also had many many supervised playdates between them before and had their cage next to my computer in the living room so I could monitor them often.

So do people keep dwarfs with standards? yes some do with no problems.
But I have also heard many horror stories where a dwarf was killed by standards.

In the end it is up to each person to make that choice and weigh the risks themselves.


Diet:

Dwarfs are fine eating the same diet as standard rats. They have smaller bellies so it is important to pay attention to serving sizes of treats!

There has been some discussion in breeder groups that dwarfs may require a bit higher protein to make up for their increased activity level. As they get older you can lower the protein levels to normal.

Breeding:

Dwarfs on average have smaller litters than standards. 4-7 babies seems about the average. This may mean that there are less babies available.


I adopt out baby dwarfs alittle bit older than standards because of their smaller size. Babies become available for adoption at 8 weeks old, instead of 6.



My Lines:

I have recently added dwarfs to my lines. My babies come from really wonderful lines with just beautiful temperaments.

My dwarf lines are starting with two males Castiel a Dumbo Siamese & Crowley a Dumbo Black Lightning Blaze

My goals are to have Siamese Dumbo Dwarf & Blue Point Siamese Dumbo Dwarf Lines. I may add more varieties to dwarf in the future.

Castiel



Size pics!

First some video links from my facebook page showing my male dwarf Castiel & my two standard males Gemini & Trouble. The standard boys are exactly 2 weeks older then the dwarf.

Dwarf 6 weeks old vs standard 8 weeks old

3 Months old

This was the dwarf Rey about 12 weeks old meeting 10 day old standard babies (not related)






Questions on dwarfs? Be sure to comment or message me on facebook and I will be happy to answer any questions I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...