Sunday, April 24, 2016

Variety: Harley



So I thought I would go into some detail about my different lines.

All our pet rats are domesticated Brown rats (Rattus norvegicus). Also called Fancy Rats. (yes even dumbos are fancy rats). The term "fancy" comes from the meaning of a pet hobby. Like saying you fancy something.

So all of our rats are the same breed we just have different varieties. These varieties include different markings, colors, ear type, coat type, and size.

On top of that there are also different names for some varieties depending on your country and club that you follow.

I prefer to follow AFRMA (American Fancy Rat & Mouse Association) Standards.


Harley
Harley's are not yet standardized by AFRMA. They are are newer variety, discovered in 2002. They are named after the first rat who started the line, a long haired rat named Harley that was found in a petshop. All the Harleys can be traced back to that start. Read about her story here!  and an interesting site on the first Harley's

Harley's have long wispy fur with no undercoat. Harley is a recessive gene.

From the very first moment I heard about Harley's I have been in love. They look so fluffy and adorable.  

Harley's are still a work in progress. And there are some known issues in some lines.
Some harley's seem to suffer skin issues and even scabs. This may mean a bit of extra care is required such as using coconut oil and many people suggest keeping them on a very low protein diet (14% or even lower). From my research it seems at first they needed to be kept on a very low protein diet (+/- 8%) but through better breeding they no longer need to be kept as drastically low.

There also seem to be some lines that have hormonal and temperament issues. This doesn't seem to be Harley related but more because of breeders in a rush to breed the new rare variety and not being as selective. -Get your rats from a good breeder!

There are also some issues with breeding. Some harley mothers seem to have trouble carrying babies or trouble nursing. Having a foster mom available is very helpful. All of my harley moms will be bred at the same time as a standard coat just incase.

Please note that lines are different. Some breeders are reporting issues others are having little to none. It is surely still a work in progress but they make for lovely adorable pets!


My Lines:

I have just started working with Harleys. My babies came from a great breeder in Indiana (HTG's Zoo). Amazing lines!

I am starting with a Mink Harley female I named Esme, and a Black Berk Harley/Dwarf carrier named Black Widow.
I am currently just happy & excited to work with harleys. I will not have any harley's available for a bit while I breed and test out temperament.

For those interested in Harley's and are patient, follow me on facebook for updates of availability or get on my waitlist now and I will contact you when I have available litters.



See more pics in Esme's photo album

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...